From 1912 until the mid- 1960s, thousands of trains pulled into Ottawa’s Union Station each year, adding to the hustle and bustle of life in the capital.
Constructed between 1909 and 1912 by the Grand Trunk Railway Company, the station was taken over by the government of Canada after the Company ran into financial difficulties and further complications arising from the death of its owner on the Titanic. In 1920 it was renamed Union Station.
The Union Station was renowned for its elegant neo-classical decoration. Many famous celebrities got their first glimpse of Ottawa stepping out of the station including Winston Churchill and Elvis Presley.