Father J.E. Guigues, consecrated Bishop of Bytown, formed La Salle academy in 1848, La Salle Academy was formed in 1848 by Father J.E. Guigues, the consecrated Bishop of Bytown. While the academy initially received criticism for its bilingual nature, it eventually provided education for nearly equal numbers of Irish and French Catholics, as well as protestants, bridging the cultural divide. It also served to mix economic backgrounds, waiving its tuition fees for poor students.