Completed in 1912 and still standing today at 2 Rideau Street, the former Union Station was in important location for visiting celebrities and dignitaries. In 1939, King George VI and Queen Elizabeth arrived in Ottawa to dedicate the National War Memorial during their tour of the country. Other important visits include those of Winston Churchill and Elvis Presley. The rails that served Union Station were removed according to The “Greber Plan”, which intended to make the capital more aesthetically pleasing. Due to backlash from the community, the building itself was not demolished, and was made a heritage building.