Quick facts

Story kiosk location

  • Northwest corner of Parent and Murray

Important dates

  • 1945 – The year Gelman’s Confectionary opened its doors at 283 Dalhousie Street


  • No

Who lived here?

  • After being trained in New York City, Gelman brothers, Ben and Max, started one of Ottawa’s first local candy shops in 1932. The business survived the Great Depression and the Second World War, allowing for expansion into the Dalhousie Street location.