Quick facts

Story kiosk location

  • Southeast corner of Sussex and George

Important dates

  • 1876 – The current market building dates from the 1920s, replacing the grand one built in 1876 that featured two towers over an arched gateway


  • No

Who lived here?

  • Most settlers in this area, known as Lower Town, were labourers, Catholic, and of French-Canadian and Irish origin. The wealthier inhabitants of Upper Town on the other side of the canal were mainly Protestants of English and Scottish origin.